Tuesday, 17 April 2012

News | Some News and a Pleasant Surprise

This post brought to you by the idea of piranhas attached to gasbags. Contrary to popular opinion, this would in fact be amazing.

Anyway! Leaving aside half-baked thoughts of world domination, some news. I've just finished The Overlord Rising, a very satisfying fantasy in the more traditional vein - proving that even the traditional can still be done extremely well. So look out for a review over the next few days. Likewise, I've been reading a new historical fantasy ('new historical' sounds an oxymoron, I admit :P ), so a review of that will be coming up soon - along with one of Issue 4 of Bourbon Penn, a new-ish speculative magazine.

What about the pleasant surprise? Well, that one's more personal - when looking at the finished version of The Alchemist of Souls, I found that Angry Robot actually quoted my review inside. Might not sound like much (or the inverse - might sound very egocentric), but I'm pretty amazed! It's been great running Drying Ink, and I hope to keep doing so for the forseeable future (and thanks to all my readers and fellow bloggers for following along - and hopefully my posts have been vaguely useful along the way! Heh)

18 comments:

  1. Egocentric or not, that's still an accomplishment - congtats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think everyone likes to see people are using their reviews, so it's pretty fun

      Delete
  2. That's fantastic news, good on you! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was pretty chuffed - though I guess the novelty wears off. :P

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you! It's just a nice feeling for a reviewer, I guess - and it doesn't hurt that I absolutely loved the book in question, too. :P

      Delete
  4. You're living the dream! That's a pretty awesome pleasant surprise. Also, I have a copy of Overlord so that's good to hear. Definitely moving up on my list yet again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I guess so - thanks! :D You're right - it was a pretty awesome surprise! Drying Ink hasn't been going properly for that long, so I'm pretty happy - though I guess you must be used to it by now! :P

      Overlord's definitely a nice read - if you've read Michael J. Sullivan, it's vaguely similar - in that it takes a quite a few familiar tropes and a world, but does them well and minus a LOT of the cliche. Not the best thing I've read this year, but definitely enjoyable. Be interested to hear what you think when you get to it :)

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah, I can't pick up a book without seeing this jackalope's quotes...actually you beat me to the punch. I've had a bunch quoted for indy publishers, but nothing for any of the big-leaguers.

      Delete
    3. To be fair, it would be hilarious if that happened (the quotes! They stalk me!). Sorry, I kind of assumed. :P Must be you being a reviewing veteran and all that.

      Delete
    4. No problem, we all know what assuming does... :D I probably should focus less on what I think are hilarious jokes for publishers to actually consider my reviews. :)

      Delete
    5. Noooo, never surrender the jokes! :P That way lies gradual transformation into Terry Goodkind. And writing about 'evil chickens' with a straight face - the ultimate evil.

      :P

      Delete
  5. Grats on the quote man. I sense more ARCs in your future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And heh, thank you for your oracular prediction - let's hope so.

      Delete
  6. Wow, nice one! :) Congrats :) And I'm chuffed you enjoyed Overlord, I LOVED it to bits. You have excellent taste :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's pretty fun. :D And yep - have you read Sullivan? it's kind of similar - both are traditional elements and worlds, but done really well.

      Delete
  7. congrats! you have arrived! :D

    ReplyDelete