Saturday, 28 April 2012

News | Authors & Anthologies

I promise to stop pestering you about these soon - but I think this anthology really deserves a look in. Ann and Jeff VanderMeer are running a fundraiser on Kickstarter to create a feminist speculative fiction anthology. As someone who's been wondering about the dearth of strong female characters recently, this seems like a great idea to focus on these disparities. While I suspect there'll be a slight slant towards SF rather than fantasy (don't quote me on this!), they probably describe the project best themselves. I quote:

"The anthology will emphasize women's speculative fiction from the mid-1970s onward, looking to explore women's rights as well as gender/race/class/etc. from as many perspectives as possible. The contributors are not yet established so we hesitate to name names, but rights to reprint stories from Ursula K. Le Guin, Octavia E. Butler, Joanna Russ, and James Tiptree Jr. would be sought in addition to a wealth of newer voices in the field."

 Ursula K Le Guin hasn't always been consistent for me, but I loved The Left Hand of Darkness (as well as several other works of hers), and the other inclusions look equally interesting. Why not give it a look? You can find it HERE.

In other news, Robert J Bennett has won a (richly deserved) Edgar! The Troupe, one of the best coming-of-age stories I've read, thoroughly impressed me (can you tell? I think you can) - and I'm glad to see he's getting this kind of recognition.

Catherynne Valente has also signed for two more novels with Tor. While I haven't yet read any of her books (I plan to, but so far haven't glimpsed them in a bookshop - I may have to brave online retail :p ), the Little Red Reviewer's reviews (which, by the way, are pretty brilliant!) have definitely put her on my list.

Finally, I'll be running a guest post as part of the series over at Bookworm Blues. No date yet, but look out for it! It's an important issue that's often overlooked, especially in SFF, where most protagonists are pretty physically ideal, so kudos to Sarah for running this project.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I LOVE your site! I'm a new follower and would love a follow back.

    Candace
    http://endlessdaysofbooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete