Sunday, 10 April 2011

Lists | My Top 5 Fantasy Blogs

Today, I thought I'd share with you a few of the great blogs within the genre that I read - and that you should, too. I'll be excluding blogs that are mainly reviews, as they'll be the subject of a separate post (my inner ranking fanatic only goes so far :P ). With that said, on with the list - and may I not be completely eviscerated when somebody finds something better!

1. Limyaael's Fantasy Rants/Arin i Asolde
Hyperbole is impossible. Limyaael has a rant for essentially every aspect of the genre, from animals to weather, containing advice on what's been done before, what's overused, and what could and should be done to make your fantasy or world a fresher and more interesting place. This blog is the kind of thing I'd have loved to write if I were talented enough: for now, it suffices to read it.
You can find it here: http://limyaael.insanejournal.com/

2. Writing Excuses
Okay, not really so much a blog as a podcast, but still very worthy of mention. If you haven't heard of this, it's a fantastic set of (nominally) 15 minute podcasts, covering many aspects of writing and publishing, a great deal of this in the fantasy genre. It's amusing - though I advise you sort out any allergy to running jokes out first - useful, and above all, offers fantastically concise advice: you can listen to one quickly and be writing with the prompt before you know it. Again, a great resource for anyone aspiring to write in the genre, or simply interested in how it happens. It's run by Brandon Sanderson, Dan Wells, and Howard Tayler, and you can find it at:
http://www.writingexcuses.com/

3. Patrick Rothfuss' Blog
The author of both the wonderful The Name of the Wind (which made my essential fantasy list, back when I was very new to blogging) and The Wise Man's Fear (which I'll be reviewing shortly), his blog contains a great deal of useful information on his books, interviews and schedules, as well as humour - just look at the photo competitions! - and other things. Simply put, it's something you really should take a look at.

4. Brandon Sanderson's Blog
One of my favourite authors (not least for his worldbuilding), Brandon Sanderson's blog and website not only contain updates and extra info on his books - including annotations for each chapter of Mistborn and Warbreaker - but also articles regarding fantasy itself, including a series on magic systems. It makes some great points, and you can find the article here and blog here.

5. Tor.com
The range of articles here is astounding, and the website features new online stories from a number of fantasy writers as well. The contributors include those from a number of my own favourite review blogs (excluded from the list, remember), such as John Ottinger III from Grasping for the Wind. You can find it here.

Any that I've omitted, or that I should know about? Got your own? Comment below and tell me!


2 comments:

  1. Writing excuses is a must listen for anyone wanting to write, IMO. I've learned so much from those guys. I'll go check out the other suggestions as well. Thanks for the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem, and I agree, Writing Excuses is invaluable - though I haven't got round to listening to the latest episode yet. I'll probably get to that later. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete